The byzantine church of Agios Georgios and Agios Nikolaos (Saint George and Saint Nicholas) in Anidri, Chania, is located in the center of the village, which is in a distance of only 5 km from Paleochora. The exact location of the church, which is one of the most known in the area, is at the beginning of the road leading to the gorge and the beach of Anidri.
According to an inscription that has been discovered, the hagiography murals of the church of Agios Georgios, which was built first, were made in 1323 AD by the famous painter and hagiographer of the era Ioannis Pagomenos, and they depict Saint George on horseback, scenes from the Saint’s martyrdom, and also Saint Dimitrios, Saint Anastasia the Pharmacolytria and Saint Irene.
Right next to the church of Agios Georgios, the church of Agios Nikolaos was built in the 14th century. The two churches were unified with the characteristic bell tower located among them in the early 20th century.
The byzantine church of Agios Georgios and Agios Nikolaos in the village Anidri just outside Paleochora, is a very important and historic church of the area that you have to visit.